Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My pregnant mare has bad diarrhea she has 4 weeks to go. I

Customer Question

My pregnant mare has bad diarrhea she has 4 weeks to go. I havnt changed her food or pasture. She is very cranky, only a slight bag of milk on one side. Is she going to foal earlier or should I get someone out to see her?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual under the stress of the hormone changes, that a pregnant mare will develop diarrhea. This can be scary since this can cause dehydration which will not help Missy before she delivers. It appears that she is close to delivery making the hormone changes even more dramatic which, as I mentioned, could be the cause and if this is the case, this will resolve once the foal is born. I would be sure to have her wormed and have your vet recheck her and run a fecal exam since this diarrhea can come from protozoan parasites such as Giardia that will ntotbe affected by the wormer.

To summarize, have your vet recheck her. This diarrhea may be normal for this time in the gestation period but if it is not, better to know now so treatment can be initiated.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is coming in the morning to see her, she was wormed on the 1st of May but apparently the grass that has just started growing due to all our rain has had a bad effect on a number of horses in our area, so she is concerned about her. She has lost a lot of weight in a very short time and her mood has become quite aggressive towards my other mare(which are now separated) Hopefully we have caught it in time that the foal and Missy will be fine with treatment after some tests. Thank you for your response Regards Naomie

Good for you, Naomi! Having Missy checked is the best thing since there is a problem. Hopefully, after testing, this will easily be resolved and Missy and foal will do great!