horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

We have a mare whose nipples seem to have a liquid in them

Customer Question

we have a mare whose nipples seem to have a white liquid in them that will squrt out if you squeeze slightly.. she is not supposed to be pregnant. she is fat in the belly but I thought maybe it was the spring pasture.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. There are 3 possibilities that could be doing this. If there's any possibility she may be pregnant, I would recommend having a vet come out to do a preg check and/or draw blood and confirm if she's pregnant. You could also check the pasture and hay for fescue, which is a type of grass hat can cause lactation. Finally, if the mare is older, Cushings can cause this and can be diagnosed with a blood test. Let me know if this makes sense!
Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, just wanted to check in to see if you received my answer? Was I able to answer all your questions?

Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you again. If I answered your question satisfactorily, please "accept" my answer as experts can only receive credit for their time once you have indicated you received the answer. Otherwise, I would be happy to continue to answer any questions or concerns you might have!

Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

horsemed