Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

I have a 4 yr old paint filly. she is always passing gas

Customer Question

I have a 4 yr old paint filly. she is always passing gas even when her manure is the "right" consistency. she does it on grass only. when she is on feed [10%] and hay she is the same. her overall health is good. no weight problem, she doesn't bolt her feed. she is sometimes skittish until she deems everything is okay. should I give her the probios? or antacids?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This gas situation usually indicates a disruption in the digestion of Giraff so the best thing to do is to add probiotics which are enzymes to help her with digestion. This may be from something she is ingesting or it may be a hereditary trait that you may have to work with. Be sure that she is wormed on a regular schedule and have your vet check her teeth to be sure that the food is adequately chewed before entering the digestive tract. These can also cause a disruption in Giraff's metabolism.

There is no harm in adding probiotics available at the feed store and it may help her. The antacids will not be helpful since this is not due to increased acid production in her stomach.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****