Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with ranch and work horses, breeding stock, and show horses.

We have a mare that quit eating and had a gh fever, after

Customer Question

We have a mare that quit eating and had a high fever, after several days we called a "new" vet (inexperienced) and first she thought colic (the horse had small piles of manure but obviously wasn't eating so we didn't expect more) and tubed her, then she thought colitis (although there was no signs of diarrhea only a few small formed balls of manure) and we ran blood work to make sure her organs weren't affected. I personally ask for antibiotics and my back up was its certainly not going to hurt either way and it might help. She was put on 5 days of the antibiotics and snapped right out of her fever and not eating within a few hours. My question is do you think its possible either of the above diagnosis was correct or could it just have been a virus she picked up thru mosquitoes or another horse?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. First of all, I'm happy to hear that your horse is doing much better. Now, it's not very common for a horse to run a fever with colic. The temperature may be elevated, but that is usually due to them rolling, or excess kicking at their stomach. Usually these horses are drenched in sweat, so you can tell they have been exerting themselves.

Colitis is almost always accompanied by horrible diarrhea.

Fevers are common with infections. Some infections won't have any other outward signs other than the horse feeling 'off'. You can't say for sure that this was your horse's problem without difinitive testing, but given the time of year and her response to antibiotics, an infection seems more likely.

However, with a sick horse, it sure doesn't hurt to tube and clean out the GI tract to help prevent a colic episode, so I don't think the treatment or blood work hurt her in any way.

Again, I'm happy to hear that your horse is doing well.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?