horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

I have a paint , he has always been prone too a swelling in

Customer Question

I have a white paint , he has always been prone too a swelling in the sheath , I clean often and it don't seem too help . pointers please...
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.

Hello there. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help with Shady. It is a great start to clean his sheath frequently and make sure that a bean isn't the root of the issues. Hearing that he's a white Paint, have you ever noticed any abnormal swellings or ulcers on his sheath and are you confident you've been able to fully exteriorize and examine everything? If not, I would recommend having a veterinarian come out and tranquilize him to get a better look. White Paints can be susceptible to some issues such as squamous cell carcinoma, and it would be prudent to rule this out as a cause as growths are easily removable when caught early. If nothing is visible externally that's abnormal, the next step would be to check him out internally by checking his bloodwork. This will check his white blood cell count for infection, and check his protein levels. Low protein levels can be responsible for edema that improves with exercise. Please let me know if this all makes sense or if you have any further questions!

Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I just wanted to check in and see if you received my answer? Please let me know if you have any questions!

Expert:  horsemed replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shady. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  horsemed replied 5 months ago.

Hello I have not heard back from you and want to make sure I was able to answer your question the other day. Please accept my answer so I can receive credit for my time, or if you have any questions or concerns, I would be happy to continue the discussion.