nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have extensive experience in all species.

Would you recommend a pony of 40 be immunised , doesnt leave

Customer Question

Would you recommend a pony of 40 be immunised for hendra, doesnt leave paddock and resides in NSW???
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

As Hendra virus is an infectious agent that can be spread via bats (therefore, Kimmy's restricted access to the world doesn't remove infection risk), can cause fatalities in infected horses, and is zoonotic (meaning it can be spread to people); vaccination would be advisable at her age if you have an active local bat population. If there is any doubt on that or you are not sure, it would be advisable to err on the side of caution and vaccinate (adverse issues with the vaccine has only been seen in 0.024% of cases) her to ensure that she nor yourself are not put at risk from this virus.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.
Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?