Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

Can a horse get stringhalt and get a locked fetlock from it?

Customer Question

Hi can a horse get stringhalt and get a locked fetlock from it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the horse?
Customer: she is walking knuckled in her left hind fetlock, the fetlock is locked like this and wont go back to normal. I have had vets,etc specialists to her, she is only 3yo friesian and never had problems, she is unstarted but always been sound and had good legs, i have never seen anything like it. She has been diagnosed with stringhalt also.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Her Name is Lenni
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lenni?
Customer: No she is in very good health otherwise, she is a 3yo friesian warmblood
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr A and would love to help.

It does not sound like strinhalt if the fetlock is locked. The most common cause of trouble bending the fetlock which can be confused with stringhalt is a locking stifle. This can happen in underconditioned animals (those not yet started are prime). This can look like stringhalt though