Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

My horse 3 year gelding has developed these deep pivot sores

Customer Question

My horse 3 year gelding has developed these deep pivot sores on his coronet band. What are they and how do I treat them.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are many causes for injuries to the coronary band. This could be due to over reaching, infections coming from under the hoof wall from the sole , and many other causes such as an autoimmune disease. The first thing to do is to have your farrier trim the hooves looking for any sign of an abscess that could be running up inside coming out at the coronary band. If there is none, then topical treatment and doses of antibiotics will help control this. As you can see, there can be many causes for these lesions that you see and , since damage to the coronary band can permanently damage the hoof wall, it is imperative that you find the cause by having your vet examine Eli and treat according to the results of the testing.

This LINK may explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta