horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

My horse had a puncture wound between the hock and chestnut

Customer Question

my horse had a puncture wound between the hock and chestnut on rear left leg. did daily SMZ's and IV antibiotics. Was doing some better. Can limp around. 3 grams bute in 24 hr period, daily. Lot of swelling at the joint and intermittent draining of puss since the accident. Just X-ray and infection is in the bone. Is there anything else I can do? Closest surgery center is 4 hrs away.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your horse?
Customer: Interestingly she is in good spirits. Bright and eating. Just a bad limp. Lots of pain if not on the bute.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 7 months ago.

Hello there. I'm sorry to hear about your horse's puncture wound. Before I can help you, I have a couple of questions. Does she have a fever? How long ago did the injury occur?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Never had a fever. The injury was 7 weeks ago.
Expert:  horsemed replied 7 months ago.

i see. It sounds like your horse has developed a bony infection called a sequestrum. The bad news is the only method of removal is surgery. The good news is it is a simple procedure that can be done standing, and that the prognosis afterwards is excellent. I understand that the closest referral center is 4 hours away and that is quite a haul for you. I would recommend checking vetspecialists.com (there is a search option on the right of the website) to look for an equine veterinary surgeon near you. There are often surgeons who do not work out of referral centers, who might be available to come out to your farm. If no surgeon is available, you also have the option of calling the ambulatory veterinarians around you, many of them may be comfortable performing the procedure. What they will do is a bone curettage, which is scrape away the infected bone, and with some post-operative antibiotics, bandage changes, and recheck xrays, you should be all set. Please let me know if I was able to answer your question, and if you have any further questions or concerns!

Expert:  horsemed replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  horsemed replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, just wanted to check to see if you received my answer and if there is anything else I can do for you?

Expert:  horsemed replied 7 months ago.

Hello, please rate my answer so I can receive credit for my time. Otherwise, please feel free to ask any further questions you may have and I would be happy to chat further.