Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I have a 10 year old gelding used as a reining horse. We

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old gelding used as a reining horse. We just moved him from the training facility to our home where he has been introduced to pasture and grass over the last month. He stays in a stall at night, with grass hay and alfalfa cubes. A few days ago he started sweating excessively over his neck, chest and right shoulder. The barn is cool, and he is not nervous and there is no external change in his surroundings. I'm worried it is a lead up to founder or cushings. Can you give some insight? Thank you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for your question. My apologies in the amount of time it has taken to get you a response. These are busy days for us Horse Vets!.....

But to your question: sorry to hear about Bucki’s sudden condition; it is worrisome when something new and unexpected comes along. How is Bucki doing now? Are you still seeing the excessive sweating? There are multiple reasons that can cause a horse to sweat without apparent reason, some of which can be concerning while others are not. I’d like to ask you a few questions concerning Bucki if you are still seeking some help.

1): How is Bucki’s overall health, and is he of normal weight?

2): Has he had any problems with the shedding of his winter hair coat this Spring?

3): As far as the pasture that he is on during the day; Is this fresh, lush, green grass? Had he been used to eating this type of grass before he was moved to the new facility?

4): Have you by chance taken his temperature while he is experiencing a sweating episode?

5): Is he on any supplements, such as Vitamins, Minerals, Hoof Support, etc.?

6): How often are you noticing the sweating, and is it occurring during a certain time of day?

7): Does the sweating seem to bother him, or are you noticing any type of behavior changes?

8): Are you riding/exercising him regularly? Are you noticing any signs of lameness?

Thanks for your time, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM

P.S.: I will be out of my office for a few hours this morning, working. I will check for your replies as soon as I return.