Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

Her while back end is almost paralyzed. JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question

Her while back end is almost paralyzed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Shawna. She is 12. Has had no previous injuries.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shawna?
Customer: No. She was fine yesterday and then in the evening she just couldn't use her hind legs. She tries to get up but just kind of hops on her hinds until she falls.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning, and thanks for contacting me at Just Answer: I’m extremely sorry to hear about Shawna and her sudden condition. I can understand your concern, especially as this has come on so suddenly. I have some questions I need to ask you so that we might be able to figure out what might be going on with Shawna.1): Since you posted your question, has there been any change in her condition?2): What is her environment like (stall, stall with paddock, open pasture, etc.), and is she in with any other animals?3): What does her diet consist of, including any supplements such as Vitamins, etc.?4): Does she try to use one of her hind legs more than the other when she attempts to get up?5): Does Shawna seem aware of her surroundings (does it appear that she can see normally, that she knows where her feet are, etc.)? Does she respond to you?6): Has she been recently shod or trimmed?Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to your reply.-Dan C., DVM.
Hello again:Just needed to let you know that I’ll be away from my office for a few hours, out working. If you are still wanting some assistance, please let me know!-Dan C., DVM.