Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

It is my 36 year old donkey. She did not eat her feed yesterday

Customer Question

It is my 36 year old donkey. She did not eat her feed yesterday and won't eat today, not even carrots and apples. her tongue is hanging out a little bit between her teeth. She is drooling . When I open her mouth and push towards the back on her gums, she drools even more. she has good gut sounds and did poop today. The vet can't get her until tomorrow afternoon and has told us to give her uniprim and bute until he can get here.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the horse's name?
Customer: It is a donkey and her name is Clementine. We have had her for 33 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clementine?
Customer: No, he knows pretty much everything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 8 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your problem today.I am so sorry for your concerns about Clementine. 33 years is quite a long time for a donkey to stay in one place. I am sure that she is certainly a cherished member of your family.I am very glad that you have spoken to your veterinarian already. He gave excellent advice, certainly what I would have recommended. I think he is thinking the same thing I am, that she has a broken tooth (teeth) & possibly an abscess in one or more roots. She may also have something impacted in her teeth, as well. As the teeth wear down, they do not process feed materials as well as they once did, & she may have a wad of feed stuck in the back. This much drooling may also implicate a salivary infection, too.If she can eat some softened pellets, then I would offer her this, especially if you can try some equine senior. Otherwise, fresh grass, if she has access to this, is a good option. I am sure your veterinarian will be able to diagnose her quickly.What kind of donkey is Clementine? I have 6 miniature mediterranean donkeys & they all have wonderful, but distinct personalities.I am not sure if you actually have a question, so please do not hesitate to let me know if I can provide anything else for you & Clementine.Thank you.