Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He had a run in with a porcupine and his left nostril is swollen.

Customer Question

He had a run in with a porcupine and his left nostril is swollen. I can't do anything for him tonight but I am worried about his being able to breath
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?
Customer: He isn't real tame
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I'm sorry for the long wait, I just logged in and saw this.

He should be able to breathe ok, but he may have to open his mouth at times. The difficult thing here is finding the quill that is likely buried as they migrate quickly under the skin. He will likely end up being anesthetized and then any areas of swelling are surgically opened and explored to find the quills. It's always easiest to find them right after it happens, but often times we need to go back and find more well after the fact.

In the end, this should be resolved fully. The swelling can be treated with an anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.