Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years, Equine chiropractor, Riding 34 years

My horse keeps stopping and stretching as if to pee while being

Customer Question

My horse keeps stopping and stretching as if to pee while being ridden. He has a good appetite and otherwise is healthy. His tail swishespecially while being ridden as if he is agitated. Also his penis hangs out often, something he never did before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Dex age 11 QH gelding.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your horse?
Customer: No he had all his shots 2 weeks ago, this started recently. Just had a chiropractic out for an adjustment also.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.So there are a couple of possibilities.He could have a urinary tract infection or even a stone in his bladder. The first thing I would do is have a urine sample checked by a vet for signs of infection. Hopefully that is the cause and an a course of antibiotics will take care of it.Since the back of the saddle is over the kidneys a blood test would not hurt but a urinary tract infection would be more common.Stomach ulcers, or any stomach pain, can cause them to stretch out. And if he had ulcers they would be more painful when he is ridden. As a test you could buy 4 tubes of ulcergard which is over the counter. Give him one tube a day for 4 days and on the 4th day ride him and see if he is doing the stretching less of he stops it completely.So I would start with that.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions for me?