Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My horse, started to change his behaviour quite dramatically

Customer Question

My horse, started to change his behaviour quite dramatically about a month ago. I bred him and he is 11 years old. I put it down to the grass and a magnesium deficiency. After 3 weeks on Mg there is no change. he is upper spooky and hyped up. If he gets a fright , imagined or real he wants to take off, which he does, usually jumps the fence or goes through a gate if opened. he is quite unsafe to lead as you don't know if he is going to jump on you. I haven't been game to ride him.
If the behaviour change is a chemical imbalance from the grass what would I need to give him to counter this and how long would this take to have an effect?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 6 months ago.
Greetings:I realize that it has been awhile since you posted your question concerning Podge. I have been out of town for a while and just received a note from the staff at Just Answer to help you try to get an answer as to why Podge’s behavior has suddenly changed, in spite of what you have already attempted. My apologies for the fact that no one has responded to your question sooner.Podge’s behavior could be related to a chemical imbalance, or there could be other physical/metabolic considerations as well. If you are still looking for some help, please let me know. If so, I have a few questions for you to get started:1): How is Podge doing currently?2): Were there any problems that you are aware of when he was breeding?3): When was Podge last examined by a Veterinarian?4): Have there been any changes in his environment; including introduction of new horses, housing, equipment (water troughs, feeders, etc.), handlers, or anything else that may come to mind?I will be out working for the majority of the day, but will be checking for your response as soon as I return.Many thanks,-Dan C., DVM
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thankyou for your response. I have had to work it out myself as time was the essence and action was required

He was super fit and had about 3 weeks on light work. He was then moved to a different place.

I returned him to the environment he knew, took him off all grass, increased his Mg and gave him Se and worked him lightly. He was frightening himself when he shied and doing a Hollywood when being led. When he did shy I made him back away and stand and focus on me.

He is now back in the paddock and is quite normal.

Again , many thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear that Podge’s behavior was not related to a physical/metabolic condition. One of my major concerns was a visual problem (uveitis, partial blindness/cataracts, etc.), as eye problems often result in the behavior that Podge was exhibiting. So Kudos to you for figuring it out, and may you and Podge remain healthy and well!All the best,-Dan C., DVM