Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I have just purchased a horse that was gelded a couple

Customer Question

Hi, I have just purchased a horse that was gelded a couple days before the sale. It has been 2 weeks today since the gelding and for the past few days he has had a lot of swelling in his penis and he just leaves it hanging half out. I have had many horses gelded and know they get very swollen but have never seen it with the penis hanging out. Should I be worried?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Even though you have never seen this, this can be normal due to the swelling. The trauma of the gelding often can have swelling that will last 1-4 weeks while the horses body is healing. Having your guys penis hanging out, is most likely due to this swelling that will resolve. I am hoping that you are hosing this area daily to help decrease the swelling. AS long as the horse is eating and acting normal, there is no infection and this will resolve. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta