Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse started limping two days ago. Worse when you turn

Customer Question

My horse started limping two days ago. Worse when you turn him, but still present at a walk. There is no heat or obvious injury. Hoof looks good, but did have shoes put on 2 weeks ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, nothing
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Cruze
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cruise?
Customer: The only thing is that when my farrier put shoes on him, he hit the quick but immediately pulled the shoe, re-did it and placed iodine on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear that Cruze is lame...I am assuming that this in in the front leg but tell me if I am wrong. It is unlikely due to the shoeing since it has been too long. He may have injured himself while trotting some where causing a sole bruise or a sprain. Since you do not see any swelling, this is probably in the hoof but only an exam will tell you that for sure. For now, give Cruze Butazolidin at 2 gms every 12 hrs for a few days and keep him as immobile as possible so that this area affected can heal. The Butazolidin is a prescription medication so it must come from your vet or a neighbor that may have some. If he responds to this, then he will be fine. If there is no improvement, then your vet will have to run tests such as nerve blocks and xrays to determine what is causing this and how best to treat this. In most cases, this will be a simple sole bruise or sprain that will heal quickly. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Every thing is muddy due to spring rain. Do you think there is a possibility of an injury in his shoulder? I stalled him last night and gave him some bute. How long should I give him before I have my vet out?
The majority of lamenesses is in the foot and unlikely in the shoulder. You did the right thing by giving the bute and putting him in a stall. Keep this up for a couple days and in most cases, this will be all that you need to do. Call your vet after 2 days with no improvement....there could be something more serious that will require veterinary care.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a possibility of a abscess without seeing it?
Oh yes...your vet would check the foot with hoof testers to find any area where there would be pain. There are many possibilities but the most likely is something simple that hopefully, will resolve with rest and some bute.