Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with ranch and work horses, breeding stock, and show horses.
92155571

25 year old appy has infection draining from his forehead,

Customer Question

25 year old appy has infection draining from his forehead, tried holistic stuff that the owner wanted, didn't do any good. We have cleaned it every day for 3 months....nothing...still draining. I think it is in his sinuses. Anyway, I just got penicillin at the feed store and was wondering how much to give him, and how many days in a row. He is about 1000 lbs
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Horse
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the horse can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Flash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Flash?
Customer: I haven't given a shot in a while....my arab was such a good boy when I did have to give him shots for a bug he picked up, but that was 15 years ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Flash's troubles. It sounds like it's definitely time to try an antibiotic. The dose for Flash would be 15-25 cc once to twice a day. Penicillin is given in the muscle. Some horses can be sensitive to penicillin, so it would be best to start him on the low range for 1-2 days to make sure he tolerates it okay. Since he has been fighting this infection for awhile, he probably will end up needing the upper range of the dose to completely clear it.Give the shots in the neck within the triangle created by the mane, the jugular furrow at the bottom, and the shoulder blade at the back. It works well to pinch some skin with one hand while pushing the needle directly into the muscle right behind the pinched skin with your other hand. Draw back on the plunger of the syringe to make sure there is no blood in the needle, and then slowly inject. If there is blood, move to a different spot. Massage the area after giving the shot. Switch sides of the neck everyday to prevent soreness.Flash can have penicillin for 5-7 days. If he shows no improvement after this time, or gets worse, you may have to take him to a vet for a stronger prescription. You can also continue to flush the wound with a dilute iodine solution.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!