Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

JA: . How can we be of help? Customer: I was looking

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: I was looking at your site about a golf ball size lump at the throat latch. My horse has one
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the horse's name?
Customer: no fever, hard not soft. we just got some first cutting hay and our pasture is getting green
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your horse?
Customer: No, Her name is Sugarbaby
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This mass at the throat latch is usually caused by an enlarged lymph node located in this area. These lymph nodes drain things coming from the mouth and can become infected causing an abscess. These start hard and then soften up when the pus is ready to be drained. Since it is only one side, it is important that you have your vet tap this area to see if this is an abscess or a tumor on Sugar baby. If Sugar baby is older, this also could be a tumor and only a biopsy will tell you if this is serious or not. For now. apply hot compresses to this area to help draw out any infection that may be present. If there is no response, have your vet examine Sugar Baby. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta