Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse seems lethargic and wont eat his hard feed, he ate

Customer Question

my horse seems lethargic and wont eat his hard feed, he ate hay this afternoon
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your horse will be able to digest that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Argo he's 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Argo?
Customer: he had his first Hendra vaccination 5 days ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This reaction could still be secondary to the vaccine making Argo not feel well. The best thing to do for him is to give him Pepto Bismol at at 1 tablespoon per 20 pounds of his weight every 8 hrs. This will calm down his digestive tract that is upset by the reaction of the vaccine. If he does nto respond to this, have your vet examine Argo since the vaccine acts to suppress the immune system and can allow bacteria and other organisms to cause an infection. If this is the case, then veterinary attention is required to help Argo past this. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta