Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

I have a 15 yr old mare who has started to have separation

Customer Question

I have a 15 yr old mare who has started to have separation in her hooves. She is barefoot and I want to avoid having her shod. She is a trail horse who wears Cavallo boots on rocky terrain. I'd like to know what causes this condition and what can be done to cure it? Thanks, ***** ***** Callie
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 6 months ago.

Greetings, Mary:

I just got up this morning and saw your question. Apologies that someone hasn’t gotten to you sooner.

I’m sorry to hear about Callie’s hoof condition. Do you still need help with this? If so, I would be happy to do so! In order for me to give you a thorough answer, I have a few questions to ask of you so that I can get a better idea as to that is going on with Callie.

1): What breed is Callie, and how long have you had her?

2): Where, exactly is the separation taking place? Are you referring to cracks that start at the bottom of the hoof wall and progress upwards, or are these cracks that are originating at her coronet band?

3): Are you seeing this in all four feet, or is this only in her fronts?

4): How long ago did you first notice this problem?

5): Have you (or your farrier) done anything to try to correct the situation, and if so, what has been tried?

6): What is the environment like where you and Callie live (humid, arid, etc.)?

7): What does Callie’s current diet consist of (including any supplements)?

8): Is there any possibility that you could send a photo of Callie’s affected hoof? That could be of tremendous help.

Many thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.