Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

My horses got through the paddock fence and out on the green

Customer Question

My horses got through the paddock fence and out on the green pasture, possibly all night. The standard size donkey and the two year old colt are showing mild signs of colick.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your horse?
Customer: Colick signs
JA: Where does your horse seem to hurt?
Customer: Both were lying down and looking at their bellies.
JA: OK. What is the horse's name?
Customer: The colt is hot, distress signs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your horse?
Customer: Other wise healthy. They have been out on the grass during the daytime for up to two hours during the day, but they got and overload of the green wet grass.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. THis is no surprise and I would also worry about founder, especially with the donkey. The best thing you can do for now is to give each one Butazolidin if you have this available or Banamine which will act as an anti inflammatory agent. These are only by prescription so check to see if one of your nieghbors may have some on hand or call your vet. The quicker you start this, the better the chance that this colic will be a mild one and easily resolved. Also, give each up to 1 gallon of Mineral oil by mouth using a dose syringe or turkey baster to neutralize the gas producing bacteria. Walk then slowly and DO NOT allow any of them to roll. Walking will help keep the digestive tract moving and help resolve the colic. You can let them rest periodically as long as they do NOT roll. If one wants to lay down for a short time, that is ok as long as they do not roll. If this is not enough, you will have to call your vet but if you can get them past this initial emergency situation, they should be fine as long as founder does not follow. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta