Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

9 yr old mare, with good appetite, loosing weight and hair..

Customer Question

9 yr old mare, with good appetite, loosing weight and hair.. Good pasture and high protein feed, no help... I lost one mare to this 3 months ago.. please help.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Christine]
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Christine?
Customer: regular worming...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Hair loss and weight issues can indicate a thyroid problem in horses of this age. It is important that you have blood work done by your vet to rule out thyroid issues as well as other metabolic problems such as Liver or kidney problems. I cannot think of why your other mare would have passed away from this but weight loss can also indicate a cancer lesion that is internal and may show up on the lab work. Cancer is usually not contagious but can have a hereditary component, depending on the cancer. I wish I could give you more information but, without the diagnostics and testing, it is hard to know how best to treat Christine. Talk to your vet about a thorough physical exam as well as blood work to start. Autoimmune disease can cause this as well so be sure to have your vet run an autoimmune panel with the blood work. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****