Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

I have an Arabian gelding 32 years old. I noticed while

Customer Question

Hi I have an Arabian gelding 32 years old. I noticed while cleaning his sheath he had hard tumor like lumps in different areas of his sheath. One froth came off this morning and it was hard and circular like compacted skin. Not a bean material. Any ideas? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: His sheath is swollen also the piece that I got out was circular and hard not bloody and not a bean like material more like a grey compacted skin. Never seen this before also they are different locations on upper and side of wall inside sheath round lumps one of the pieces I got off was on the side of the opening in second compartment of his sheath
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Horse Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. The older geldings and stallions can get different types of benign and malignant tumors in this area. They can get Papilomas which are most often benign or sarcoids. From what you have described, I believe these are most likely benign fibromas caused by irritation in this area from discharges and possible "bean" irritation. If these were invasive, they would not come off so easily so I feel that these are most likely benign with no treatment. I am sure you are aware that if your Arab is gray, they are prone to Melanomas which are very aggressive. For this reason, it is wise to have your vet examine these to know for sure. In the meantime, when you clean your guys sheath, remove any that are easily removed to decrease ant=y form of irritation in this area. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****