Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with ranch and work horses, breeding stock, and show horses.

Good Morning, My mare and another older horse in the pasture

Customer Question

Good Morning, My mare and another older horse in the pasture have a problem with hair and skin on their backs and down the cannon bone. Its reoccurring and I'm not sure how to help them more. They live in the southern sun and don't get groomed very often. It looks like rain rot. We use the antifungal products on the market and it helps a little. They are both retired champions and deserve better. What do you suggest?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I have had good luck treating rain rot with Betadyne scrub. It's an iodine based shampoo. It works best if you can groom as much hair as possible off first, then wet them down, lather the shampoo in down to the skin and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Then rinse completely. This can be repeated every 3-4 days, but usually doesn't take more than 2 applications.I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Hi Patricia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lovely Lady. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She looks much better and hair is growing. I will keep betadine on hand and try to watch for first signs. I believe sunburn contributes to the condition. Do you agree? I'm actually working on a new lot that is heavily shaded for her. I depend on someone else to do most daily stuff for the horses but am trying to contribute .
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 6 months ago.
Anything that aggravates the skin can cause problems for sure. Betadyne is an excellent product to have on hand anyway for wound cleaning, etc. I'm happy to hear that she is better!