Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

I'm thinking of buying a horse that was poisoned by oleander

Customer Question

I'm thinking of buying a horse that was poisoned by oleander 2 years ago. What , if any, after effects should i look for? Thank you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I can help you with your question. I worked in Arizona and we saw this toxicity frequently. Provided the horse recovered well from the initial toxicity, there will be little likelihood of long term after effects. To cover your bases, you could have an ECG done on the horse prior to purchase but in general, the vet needs to listen to the heart very well during the pre-purchase exam and check for any arrhythmias or murmurs that would suggest any heart issues. Other than that, if the horse is sound and doesn't have any exercise intolerance when ridden, there shouldn't be any issues. Hope this helps. All the best​!