Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.

My mini horse is very stiff on all four legs. She's feral and

Customer Question

My mini horse is very stiff on all four legs. She's feral and next to impossible to catch, she needs her hooves trimmed but wont let us near her to do it. She did get into the goat bedding, could she have pick something up from their urine/feces out of that hay?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. My fear for your sweet Buttercup is that she has foundered due to getting into the hay for the goats and this stiffness of her legs is due to this. Often, this only affects the front legs but more severe founder will affect all 4 legs like it is doing with Buttercup. The fact that her hooves are long only exacerbates this situation. Since she is so hard to treat, you will have to get a vet to tranquilize her...your vet can do this with pills in feed or a tranquilizer injection. For now, take her off all pasture and put her in a stall with only straw until you can get her treated. This disease can be devastating to her hooves so get treatment as soon as possible in order to save her. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thnak you, we have done all of this, our local vet will be out today! My concern was founder also!
Good for you!! That will help Buttercup heal quicker with less discomfort I hope.