Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I rescued a horse several months ago the previous owner had

Customer Question

I rescued a horse several months ago the previous owner had little to infollow on her.
She is a 6 Year old mare. I was saddling her up to work with her and get used to riding again. I saddled her up andoing started riding around the area, she started to thrash her head around. So I stopped and got off to see if the bit was bothering her. That is when I noticed that her tongue had turned a dark purple. It took some time for it to turn back to a pink color.
I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about. She seems to be eating fine. Drinking okay.
It seems to only happen when being worked, if she isn't being ridden or worked it appears to be okay.
I've listened to her heart and it was really hard to find faint and slow.
I do notice her breathing is a little strained but not extreme.
I'm worried because I don't know about her vaccination history and this is the first time this has came up.
Any suggestions or possible problems?
Should I discontinue riding her?
Thank you
K.Vaughn
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know what may be causing this but if you are using some form of bit, try using a sidepull or hackamore to see if this will stop this from happening. Call the previous owner to see if there had been any problems prior to selling her. It sounds like the tongue, in some way, is losing blood supply possibly due to compression of a certian area by the headstall or something inside her mouth which , you would have to have your vet check. There may be scar tissue from an accident that would cause this compression causing this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta