Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

MY HORSE IS ACTING LATHARGIC AND NOT EATING ALOT. SHE IS

Customer Question

MY HORSE IS ACTING LATHARGIC AND NOT EATING ALOT. SHE IS PASSING FOOD AND DOESN'T SEEM TO BE IN ANY PAIN. I BRUSHED HER DOWN AND HER BELLY AND BODY DIDN'T SEEM TO BE SENSITIVE. WAS WONDERING IF SHE DIGESTED A NOXIUS WEED OF SOME SORT?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
SHE HASN'T EVER HAD HER TEETH FLOATED...THAT WOULDN'T MAKE HER LATHARGIC THOUGH? SHE IS STILL DRINKING WATER.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The lack of Whispers teeth not being floated could very well cause problems with her digestive tract. If she cannot chew the food well enough due to points and pain when Whisper eats, this can cause an obstruction in her digestive tract and colic like symptoms. I am not saying that this is the problem but I believe that Whisper is lethargic because she is in pain somewhere. This could be due to arthritis, considerng Whispers age so the first thing I would recommend is starting Whisper on Butazolidin or Banamine which you will have to get from your vet. These are pain relievers and anti inflammatory medications that will help Whisper feel better. If she does not respond to this , then your vet will have to run blood work to determine if Whisper is suffering from a metabolic issue that would require a different treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Janice,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta