Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse that is 20 and has never been sick has an ear

Customer Question

My horse that is 20 and has never been sick has an ear issue. Today I found what I thought was dirt in her ear so I began pulling it out with my thumb to find that she was not happy, I pulled out what looked like dirt only orange colored and I believe I burst a blister in her hear due to when I shined a flashlight in it that is what it looked like.
The lady that owns the ranch where I stable my horse said to watch it and don't call the vet.
Can I put anything on it? Does it sound like and emergency?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Cysts, benign tumors and abscesses can form in the ear and if you burst this, then this may mean that bacteria has been released into the ear and could make this worse. The best thing for you to do is to attempt to apply Hydrogen peroxide into the ear and wash this out with a rag and then apply Betadine to this area. It is not an emergency but can cause Lilly discomfort and aggressive treatment will ease that discomfort. If this is a tumor, it will grow again and may have to be removed by your vet. For now, treat Lilly daily and see how she does.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****