Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc

I have had a four year old help g on training mom and off. I

Customer Question

I have had a four year old help g on training mom and off. I picked him up recently brought him home for a week or two. Took him to a trainer and road him the first day with no problems. While at the other place he was being turned out and ridden lightly. After ridding him at the new facility he was fine. The trainer called me today to say ha e you Ahmad problems with him. I dad no not at all. She stated he was. Watching heavy, sweaty, and his hind quarter was locked up. He can't move. I pray it's not EPM. Has had no signs of this. I have no idea what's going on. They went to ride him again today and the same thing happened. Can't move his back legs and is sweaty etc. I mentioned yo get s bet called and have him looked at. What testing can be done. And can you find EOM with a blood test?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I am sorry to hear about your horse. This does not sound like EPM (equine protozoal myeloencephalitis). It sounds like your horse has a condition called rhabdomyalosis or commonly called tying up. It is a inflammation of the hind quarter muscles and can be caused by a number of ways - most commonly it occurs in QH and will show up after the horse begins training quite often but can occur at any time in their life. The problem is the muscle in the hind quarters are not able to properly convert glucose (sugars in the muscle used to create contraction) and as a result the muscle becomes inflamed and painful. The horse will become sweaty and very stiff to the point where sometimes they will not move at all. There is a test that can be done to look for the genetic marker for this disease and a vet should be called out to look at him as this can cause kidney damage in some cases so blood work and a clinic exam needs to be done. Do not ride him until a vet can come to see him. There are some things that we can do to help prevent this inflammation from occurring but you need to have this disease confirmed. The way to treat it is with diet changes and sometimes a medication can be used prior to riding to allow for the muscles to relax. Call your vet and have blood work done soon but it sounds like your horse is tying up. Hope this helps. All the best
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.