Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I'm ***** *****. My horse got into milo today and has had an

Customer Question

Hi, I'm ***** *****. My horse got into milo today and has had an upset stomach. We spoke to a vet and told us to give him banamine. We did around 9pm. I walked him, he has produced fecal matter I believe three times now. I walked him and kept him up until about 145am. I don't live close to a vet and no one has answered my calls, but he continues to lay down on his side now. Is this ok? It is now 331 and our vet won't be open until 8am.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I believe that he ate half a bag of milo seeds. He didn't have guts sounds at 8pm. Gut sounds came back a little after 9pm after banamine was given. I walked him around for a few hours and he still seems to feel bad. He has been laying down now but he keeps trying to lay flat on his side. He has only wiggled on his back once in the last hour. We don't live near a vet that will come out and our vet won't be open until 8. I just want to know if it's OK for him to lay down or should I get him back up again. We slowly walked for about 5 hours with 15 minute breaks.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Horse Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just wiggled on his back again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got him back up because he was starting to wiggle. I can hear some gut sounds, but they are not loud.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Your guy is suffering from colic due to the ingestion of a high carbohydrate food. The Banamine should be given every 12 hrs and you should give your guy Mineral Oil at 1 liter every 6 hrs. This will neutralize the gas producing bacteria that can cause his pain and help things slide through. You can allow your guy to lay down but NEVER allow him to roll. If he rolls, get him up immediately and walk him. If the intestinal tract twists, this could be life threatening. Keep up the good work and this may get yopur guy past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****