Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with ranch and work horses, breeding stock, and show horses.
92155571

My horse has a red swollen tear duct. What is the best thing

Customer Question

My horse has a red swollen tear duct. What is the best thing to do for it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Bullet 15. I think it is an allergy from hay start shortly after we got the hay have replace with new hay
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bullet?
Customer: No maam
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Bullet's troubles. Swollen or blocked tear ducts are fairly common in horses. Most often they present was a consistently watery eye, but sometimes can have swelling and redness if they become infected.

Does he have any problems with the other eye? Have the problems persisted with the new hay?

Some things you can do is apply a warm compress to the area. This will promote drainage. If Bullet tolerates this okay, use the warm compress 10-15 minutes twice a day. You can also give Bute or Banamine to help ease the swelling.

You should also apply an antibiotic to the area. You will need to use something that is safe for the eyeball as well. Some good ones are Vetricyn spray or a triple antibiotic ointment. Triple antibiotic ointment is safe for the eye but not as well tolerated as it can blur the vision for a short time after application.

If the eye shows no improvement after 2-3 days of this treatment, consider taking him to a vet for a prescription eye drop +/- unblocking the duct.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk