Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

I have AIed many mares successfully over the last 27 years,

Customer Question

Hi - i have AIed many mares successfully over the last 27 years, but never a 12 year old maiden. I noticed her cervix a little tight, although open enough for my (gloved!!) index finger AND insemination pipette to be inserted. Now I am wondering if I may face problems of the mare not properly excrete the normal inflammatory response fluid? Can't believe I am asking this Question here on a public board. Thank you
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 9 months ago.

Good Evening, and thank you for the question. Apologies for the delay, I just logged on and saw your post.

If you were able to insert your finger and the pipette through the cervix, there is no reason that any fluid buildup cannot be expelled. Normally, however, if a mare is in heat, the cervix should be relaxed well enough to enter it without substantial difficulty, even if she is maiden. Did you palpate or ultrasound the ovaries to see if she was ovulating, or did you go on clinical signs? Either way, there should be no problems (providing your glove was sterile and you followed sterile technique) if any fluid is produced.

Thanks, ***** ***** let me know if you have any further questions.

-Dan C., DVM.

Hi Aled:

Just checking to see if you had any further questions!

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.

Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dan C., DVM