DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

I was trimming my horse feet and one of the feet while I was

Customer Question

Hi Pearl I was trimming my horse feet and one of the feet while I was rasping the sole started to bleed so I quit Now she now favoring that foot thought about cleaning foot put a soft pad with a boot on that foot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: cj
JA: Huh?
Customer: cj
JA: How old is CJD?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about CJD?
Customer: no in god health not thrush in feet very active
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

HI there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Im sorry to hear that CJ jas an injury to the foot. If you cut a little too deep and got into the sensitive subsolar tissue of the foot, then this will be painful and susceptible to infection until the foot can grow new sole. I wouild recommend packing the area with betadine soaked gauze and then wrapping the foot with soft bandaging (like a human baby diaper for padding and then vetwrap to hold the diaper in place). Then use duct tape to seal the bottom of the bandage so it holds up to the horse walking around. Chnage this bandage every day for 5 days and pack with betadine each day. If the horse is not feeling better after this treatment, then you need to have the foot looked at by a vet. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMelJ