Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

My horse has been a little unsteady on s feet eg:

Customer Question

Hi my horse has been a little unsteady on his feet eg: occasionally looking kind of dizzy. I've only had him a month and he had a little green discharge from his nose last week.
And has come up with a few welts from insect bites. His veins are also very risen in different spots over his body.Any ideas of ways to help.him?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 9 months ago.

Good evening, and thanks for the question. Apologies for your having to wait so long in getting a response to you, I just got in for the day and saw your post.

I’m sorry to hear about DJ’s condition. Since it sounds as if he is a new horse to you, I am assuming that you don’t know a lot about his history. I would like to ask you some questions, so that I can get a better idea of what his problem may be.

1): Firstly, where are you located?

2): Do you know DJ’s de-worming and vaccine history? If so, are you aware of when he was last de-wormed, which product was used, and what he’s been vaccinated against and when?

3): How long has he been unsteady on his feet and acting dizzy?

4): Does the unsteadiness affect one leg or side more than the other?

5): Have you taken his temperature? If so, has he been running a fever?

5): Has ne been eating and drinking normally, as well as urinating and defecating normally?

6): Does he tend to tilt his head or circle in a specific direction?

7): Have you ridden DJ? If so, were there any problems that you noticed?

8): What is his current diet (including any vitamins, supplements, etc.)?

9): Is he in with any other horses or animals?

Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Also, does he still have a runny nose? When he did (or if he still does), was (is) the discharge coming out of one or both nostrils?
Thanks again!

Hello!

I wanted to let you know that I will be signing off for the evening. I’ll be checking for your response first thing in the morning.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you!

-Dan C., DVM