Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Swollen sheath after being cleaned no bean only on shaft

Customer Question

swollen sheath after being cleaned no bean only on shaft
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Batman almost 30 a gelding
JA: How old is Batman?
Customer: nearly 30 by best guess after floating teeth
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Batman?
Customer: No health issues thinks he is the biggest horse on the ranch. was bought at auction about 4 yrs ago for my teenager and was reportedly used at a ranch in the hills
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This swollen sheath after being cleaned is not unusual due to the inflammation caused by this cleaning. Especially because of Batman's age, the fluid build up naturally goes to the lowest area by gravity to cause the sheath to be swollen. It is best to hose this area daily and treat Batman with Butazolidin if you have this available every 12 hrs to help decrease the swelling. It is possible that infection in some area above the area of the sheath has caused this swelling also so treating with Penicillin G every 12 hrs may help Batman past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****