Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

I have a miniature donkey that is very unsteady on s feet,

Customer Question

I have a jack miniature donkey that is very unsteady on his feet, not moving much and having spontaneous knee jerking
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This knee jerking and reluctance to move sounds like a neurologic issue. This can be due to a liver disease which is infectious or metabolic or due to some form of head trauma. These guys are also very prone to founder which is a possibility. It is good to continue giving Bute every 12 hrs but it is important that you have your vet examine him to know for sure. testing will rule out liver disease and infection and may give a direction for treatment to relieve Little Man's condition. I wish I could give you more advice but without testing, it is hard to know what is causing Little Man's condition and how best to treat him.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****