Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with ranch and work horses, breeding stock, and show horses.
92155571

I guess it might be hard to explain but my horse on one hoof

Customer Question

I guess it might be hard to explain but my horse on one hoof months ago when having her shod he had to cut away a lot of the front almost to his her hair line but has been finally growing back but he just came and was working on her and now her toe was all white and he had to cut off more I was reading about white line disease
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sorry it came thru in 2 different statements but that's the best I can do?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pet Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your horse's hoof troubles. From your description, White Line Disease is a definite possibility. This disease can occur for a number of reason, including high moisture, infection, or poor hoof conformation. Basically, it is separation between layers of the hoof wall, similar to us losing layers off of our finger nails. It is typically not painful unless it becomes severe.

The main course of treatment is to trim off the separated layers. This can require several trimmings over the course of a few weeks to months. If infection is present, treating with an antiseptic such as strong iodine or chlorahexadine can rid the infection and prevent further damage. It is also important that the hoof be stabilized during this trimming with a proper shoe that will prevent excess stress on the hoof wall and further breakdown. Treatment relies heavily on an experienced farrier that is familiar with the disease.

Since the hoof has been recently trimmed, you can try treating the area with an antiseptic twice a day. Follow up with the farrier in a few weeks to see if more can be trimmed. It is a long process to recover from White Line Disease, so a good relationship your farrier is key. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk