Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

Can a horse die suddenly after giving pain medication and

Customer Question

can a horse die suddenly after giving pain medication and fluids after she had choke and aspiration for 2 days of being sick. she had shown signs of improvement shortly before vet arrived. early in the day was given a injection then later a dose of antibiotics. that night she died approx. 1 hour after vet left when given the pain shot and fluids. also, on first day she was treated with the hose down her nose that cleared the obstruction. her vitals were normal except fast heart rate and purple gums. she was choked for 10 hours. I called vet after 8 hours because thought it would clear on its own as it had in the past. did the pain medication or fluids kill her?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and thank you for the question.
Firstly, I’m extremely sorry concerning the loss of your horse. I’m sure it must have been a horrible shock to you. I offer you my deepest condolences.
In order for me to give you a thorough answer, I need a to clarify some details concerning the events that happened leading up to your horse’s unfortunate passing.
1): You mentioned that she had two days of being sick. Was this before or after the choke incident took place? What were the signs of illness that she was showing during those two days?
2): During her two days of being sick, was she seen by a Vet during that time? Also, you mention that she was given an injection and a dose of antibiotics. Can you tell me what type of injection was given and also, what type of antibiotic? Do you know how much of each was administered?
3): When she received the fluids and the pain injection, was this the first time she had been seen by the Vet? Do you know the amount of fluids given, and if they were given IV? Was the pain injection given IV?
4): And again, just to clarify; is the Vet the one that passed the tube to clear the choke?
Thanks, ***** *****’m looking forward to hearing from you.
Dan C., DVM

Just wanted to let you know that I’ll be signing off for the evening. I’ll be checking for your reply first thing in the morning.
Thanks,
Dan C., DVM.

I wanted to let you know that I’ll be offline for a few hours, out working. IF you have further questions or replies, I’ll be checking as soon as I return.
Thanks again,
Dan C., DVM.