Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

I resently bought my wife a 4 year old mare when we went to

Customer Question

I resently bought my wife a 4 year old mare when we went to pick her up their was a red and white paint stud in the pasture with her the horse could hardly walk i bought the horse to get to save the horse his left glove is grown out about 8 in and curved to the right the knot on the joint is about the size of a softball i think the joint was already slipped apart he's now to where be can't hardly walk any tip treatment or what can i do to save this horse he's around 4 his self and I don't want to loose the horse i bought him with hopes of saving him
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 10 months ago.

Greetings, and firstly, bless you and thank you for taking in this horse (“Dad”), and giving him a chance at a new life. I know you will receive numerous blessings for your kindness and work.
There are a few things I’d like to clarify with you so that I might be of help to you and Dad.
1): You mentioned that his left “glove” is grown out and curved, and you also referred to a swollen joint. Can you be more specific as to which joint you are concerned with? Also, I’m sure it’s probably a typo, but were you referring to his hoof when you wrote glove?
2): When Dad is walking, is he putting any weight on the affected leg?
3): How is his weight and appetite? Does he seem to have any difficulty eating?
4): Do you know his approximate age?
5): Are you aware of any of his history concerning de-worming and vaccinations?
Thanks for your time, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C., DVM

Good Morning! Just checking to see if you still needed some help.
Thanks again,
Dan C., DVM