Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years, Equine chiropractor, Riding 34 years, Pro trainer
2263760

My name is ***** ***** i recently have leased a just turned

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** i recently have leased a just turned 7 yr old Hanovarian hes a bit lookier than i like and he will spook at a pole on tyhe ground or something hes allready been by 10 times. its a bit unerving as i am a timid adult rider.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: im considering depo curious of longterm side effects in gelding and how it works
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Horse Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Are you showing him at USEF shows where they drug test?

I am a big fan of Depo Provera because it does not drug test.

But there are other things you can use if you do not have to worry about drug testing.

It workings because it is progesterone. Progesterone is the calming anti-agression hormone produced in the body.

There are no long term studies on it but I have been using it in many horses, over the past 14 years, and have not seen any side effects.

You could also try:

Quietex

Calmex

Raspberry leaves

Low starch grain

Chinese herbal medications

If you walk into the local larger tack shot there will be a number of products for you to try.

Most of them will cause him to drug test positive at shows though.

They will be fine if you are not showing.

Normally I start with 1,000 mg of Depo Provera IM once a month. It can be given every 2 weeks as needed.

There are no specific studies on the mechanism of action but Progesterone is the calming hormone and estrogen and testosterone can cause mood alterations.

Does this help and answer your question?