Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Senior horse down unable to get up, ground is icy so we have

Customer Question

senior horse down unable to get up, ground is icy so we have hay and blankets keeping
him warm. he is alert and eating but temps are in low teens with win, sg
should we try and get him up or keep him comfortable any
til a vet can be reached in morning ?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that your guy is in this condition. The cold exacerbates any form of arthritis that may be affecting your guy. This may be why he is not able to get up. Try to find Butazolidin or Banamine and give this every 12 hrs. Then try to get him up using coaxing and sometimes a hot shot can help. It is not good for your older guy to remain laying down especially in the cold. The anti inflammatory medication will relieve the pain and allow him to get up so you can get him into a warmer area. These are prescription medications, so call your vet for this if a nieghbor does not have this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****