Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Had bleach in water trough 1/4 cup with 2 gallons water,

Customer Question

Customer: had bleach in water trough 1/4 cup with 2 gallons water , getting ready to scrub lcean and horse driank out of this sholud i call a vet . i gave him some rice bran pelletts and he drank more water
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok horse drank bleach with water in it . 1/4 with abuot two gallons . not sure how much he drank . i stopped him giave him rice bran. he then drank more fresh water
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Horse Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is common for horses to drink water with bleach added and since he did not drink the entire amount of the trough, chances are good that this will not harm your guy. It is good that you fed him rice bran and that he drank more water. It may help to give him electrolytes at this point to dilute out the water that he ingested with the concentrated bleach water but even that amount will not harm your guy. Do this every 4-6 hrs diluting out the bleach and he will do well.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok what signs would I look for if he is having a issue due to this

The bleach will cause a caustic burn to the tissues of the esophagus and stomach so signs would include difficulty swallowing and ingesting food and water. This is extremely unlikely but good to watch your guy. Since you have diluted this water, it is more likely that you will not see any signs.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta