Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My name is ***** *****. I have a 9 year old Arabian gelding

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a 9 year old Arabian gelding who has a large swollen area under his belly about 9 inches from his sheath. He does not seem bothered by it, it is not hot, it is not squishy. It just appeared in the past few days. All his other vitals are normal. I'm just not sure if I should do anything with it, like put a salve or liniment on it or let it resolve on it's own. It is 4 below zero today so maybe a salve would be a bad idea?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I rode him yesterday and he was fine. He is eating and drinking well. Has good gut sounds. His poop is normal. He does not have a fever. I did notice a few abrasions on his hind leg which makes me think he may have slipped and ran into something which could be causing the swelling on his belly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Horse Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This area that is swollen is a common area for fluid build up due to gravity caused by some trauma above. Since you have seen abrasions on your guys legs, there was most likely a trauma that has caused fluid to go to the lowest point which is this area. I would certainly make sure to clean the abrasions, make sure your guy has a tetanus vaccine and possibly antibiotics to be sure this does not turn into an infection. Watch this swollen area because it is also a common area for abscesses caused by fly bites. Since it is so cold there, this seems unlikely but worth keeping an eye on this. In most cases, this swelling will resolve on its own once the offending trauma has healed.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it makes sense. Pretty much what I was thinking but it's always nice to have a professional's advice. Thanks so much for your time.~Krista

You are very welcome, Krista...don't feel bad.This happens all the time and horses do well without treatment.

Good job!!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta