horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

Our 22 year old Percheron was suddenly laying down, in an

Customer Question

Our 22 year old Percheron was suddenly laying down , in an icy snow storm, unable to get her footing to get up. It appears that her stomach is distended and her area under her tail inflammed. She has been down now approx. 12 hours. What should we do?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am very sorry to hear about your mare. This constitutes an emergency and I would call your veterinarian out immediately. Try to differentiate whether she is down because she cannot get up (ie. traumatic injury) or if she can't get enough footing underneath her and make sure you offer her some warm water. Try to get some straw or shavings out to help with footing. Your vet will perform an emergency exam to see if she is stable in her cardiovascular system and if there are obvious signs of fracture, etc, that may inhibit her ability to get up. If she is unable to get up for neurologic or fracture reasons, there is a very negative prognosis, especially in a horse the size of a Percheron and after 12h of being down. If your horse is able to get up, your vet can help you stabilize her and administer some antiinflammatories. Call your vet out asap and please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
horsemed