Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

We have an 18 yo stud who has been active up until a few

Customer Question

We have an 18 yo stud who has been active up until a few weeks ago. These past couple of days he has lost alot of weight and yesterday he refuses to walk. If he does, he falls. His back legs look like they cant hold him when walking. I checked his hooves, no rot and no warm feeling. I saw this bruise looking discoloration on his left hip down his back leg. His penis is swollen and he cant bring it back in. He pooped after i gave him a cup of sweet feed and cracked corn (not too much cuz risk of colic) and nothing was abnormal about his poop that i could see. He has access to hay, sweet feed, corn and water. He was dewormed 6 weeks ago. We have other animals and they are all fine. Please help! What could it be?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My concern for Moonshine is that he may have had an injury that you were not aware of that has caused an unstable disc in his back. This can happen with an injury or just moving the wrong way that then causes a disruption in the nerve suply due to the inflammation. The first thing to do is to start Moonshine on a strong anti inflammatory such as Banamine and try to keep him immoble as possible to help stabilize this disc. the best medication for this is Steroids but only your vet can prescribe this. Because of the possible serious nature of this injury, I would strongly recommend that you take Moonshine directly to your vet so conditions such as an infectious disease or Encephalitis can be ruled out which can also cause these serious signs.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****