Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My horse is in hospital with infected hock bursa following a

Customer Question

Hi my horse is in hospital with infected hock bursa following a serious laceration. Treated with saline lavage and IV antibiotics into infected area, first with gentamicine, then baytril for last 8 days following culture. Senior vet on holiday for 8 days now and only junior vets at hospital. Is this too long to treat with baytril.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Baytril is used in horses but is extra label since it has not been approved for horses. The usual duration of treatment is 2 weeks so going on 8 days is within the normal range.This sounds like a very serious laceration and needs very aggressive treatment which is what your junior vet is doing well.

I hope Ophelia will respond and feell better soon!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. That makes me feel less worried.

You are very welcome! I hope Ophelia does well...sounds to me like she is being treated well.

Hi Jenny,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta