Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
8634083

My 5 year old has been recently diagnosed with possible

Customer Question

Customer: My young 5 year old has been recently diagnosed with possible large bowel ulcers - looking at treatments and whether there is a far cheaper medication that ulcergard or gastrogard or whether he needs to be on ulcergard/gastrogard permenantly as I don't think I can afford it!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He had a mild gas colic about 6 weeks ago, and been noticing he is a little grumpy to tack up and a little flat and less exuberant to ride. Was given a 10 day course of gastrogard and now have him on a cheaper compound containing ompremazole (?) - but yesterday he was very sensitive around his flank - aggressive tail swishing and kicking out and vet thinks he is demonstrating signs of large bowel ulcers and therefore needs to be given ulcergard rather than the cheaper alternative?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Horse Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes - $18 cheaper than a vet call out! Thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 11 months ago.

Greetings, and thanks for the question. My apologies for the long delay it has taken for you to get service. It seems that Dr. Scott is unavailable I just logged on and saw your question.

Sorry to hear about your horse’s condition. As you probably know, ulcers are not an uncommon problem with horses, but getting them definitively diagnosed (and treated!) can be an expensive endeavor. I’m fully aware of the high cost of the ulcer medications that are on the market today, and I can understand your frustration.

I‘d like to share a simple remedy with you that I’ve had good success with in treating ulcers. Although it doesn’t work 100% of the time, I’d say about 80% of the horses I’ve treated with this have had a favorable response, and it’s much less expensive and very safe. Administer 60cc of Aloe Vera gel combined with one teaspoon of Slippery Elm Powder once daily for ten days to two weeks. Both of these should be available at any natural food co-op, or a grocery store that carries organic products. You should be able to pick up a 60cc dose syringe at your local feed/supply store. I normally start seeing results in about 3-4 days. Some stores even carry different flavors of the Aloe Vera.

So I hope this helps to give your horse some relief (and you as well!). If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, and if you have the time, drop me a line in a week or so and let me know how your horse is doing. I’d appreciate it.

All the best to you,

Dan C., DVM

P.S.: Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and yours, and of course, all of your animals too!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dan C., DVM

Greetings! Just checking to see if you had any additional questions.

May your Holidays be full of goodness.

-Dan C., DVM