DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  experience in racetrack medicine and general practice; owned and ridden horses throughout life.
24095035

I have been giving my 5 year old mare 24 cc of penicillin a

Customer Question

I have been giving my 5 year old mare 24 cc of penicillin a day for 3 days broken down to two 12 cc dosages given (two different locations). The last dosage she fought with a stiff neck and now she has a large swelling from injectable sight. It is not hot. Should I be concerned and just watch it for a few days?
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The size of the swelling is a 3 inches by 5 inches.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry you had to wait so long for a response. Penicillin shots can often cause some swelling and pain. I would recommend applying DMSO gel to the spot and giving 2 grams bute if you have some, once per day for 3 days. DMSO gel is available at Fleet Farm or other farm supply stores. It helps reduce edema and swelling. Try to give the penicillin shots in alternate locations like the pectoral muscles of the chest or the butt muscles. If the swelling from the one shot becomes really hot or weepy/oozy, thenhVeavet command look at it. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMelJ